Waubansee, the Pottawatomie chief of whom Chief Alexander Robinson said "he had a voice like a lyon," used this trail while camping at Cazanovia 1833 to 35. Two camps belong to this village, one in the Southeas quarter Sec 15, (Schiller Park) the other in the southwest quarter Sec 26 (Turner Park) town Lyden.
A war-dance, after the fort Dearborn massacre, 1812, held by the Indians in the southwest quarter section 10, town Lyden, on the Alexander Robinson Reservation, on the west bank Desplaines river in the bend there, was a grand barbacue at the expence of the Chief which lasted several days as related by Mrs. Mary Ragor, "Munyon," the chiefs daughter.
The Indian camp where the Grand Ave. trail crossed the Union Ridge, was at Ridgeland Ave. & the Bloomingdale road from where a local trail ran to Indian village number four to which it belonged, being their signal camp on the east. -- -- Capt. Wm. H. Gale, among other stone weapons discovering here the sentry's battle ax.
The Indian camp on Milwaukee Ave. northwest of Irving Park Ave. was an advance from Forest Glen, the same as the one at Addison St. imediately west of the Chicago river (already mentioned) was from Bowmanville. This shows the close connection of the several villages of the Chicago & Desplaines rivers & the controll they had over the Chicago plateau lying between these two rivers.
And now we come to what must have been the Indian signal camp in the center of communication no matter what the distance or direction, located on the Grand Avenue trail three miles west of the lake -- one block west of Western Avenue & Indiana Street -- A natural mound, nearly equi-distant from the Chicago river in three directions north, south & east.
The stone quarry sunk here in early times having destroyed all record of this place, no precise account can be given. Still the sweeping view had here was for miles in every direction even to the Chicago river as is well remembered by many of our early settlers.